On Some occasions, user gets a file with the extension of “.rar.” This happens when the user downloaded the computer application or getting a file to attach with the email. If you’re not familiar with this kind of file, in this article, you can find the procedure of Opening RAR File on PC of Windows 10 or Mac.
What is a RAR File?
RAR is derivative from Roshal Archive. A .rar extension file act as a container of data which stores one or several files in compressed form. The individual or group of people will use these RAR file format for compressing their files so that they take small size. By doing this, users can download all the files together or at once rather than download them individually.
To be specific, RAR looks like a folder similar to the other ones in your computer. This folder is used for the organizing of various images, documents, folders, and different files. So what will change the RAR folder from others is its security as it needed special kind of software for opening its files or contents.
Procedure of Opening RAR Files on Windows 10
User can open the file with the RAR extension with the help of various applications. The most famous and preferably known application for Opening RAR Files is WinRAR application. The reason of its popularity is the creation of this application is developed by those developers who created RAR format. Moreover, this application provides the completely support for the RAR format files. Furthermore, WinRAR supports both for extracting and creating RAR files.
Caveat though is there, WinRAR does not supports for free. But it provides a sharing facility or you can try it freely before buying. By doing this, free trail can be taken without the billing information entrance.
In conclusion, 7-zip is a best choice because its open source facility and 7-zip are free of cost.
By the following procedure user can open files with RAR extension by using the 7-zip application:
- Open the website 7-zip.org for downloading the application.
- Complete the steps shown on the screen for the installation of application.
- Pop-up menu will be open by right clicking on the RAR file.
- Opening of application can be assured by clicking the Unzip To.
- By seeing the pop-up, user can click on the Use Evaluation Version if he/she is utilizing a free trail.
- From left side-bar, select the destination of file.
- At last, click on the Unzip.
By Opening RAR File, application creates a same name folder as user’s RAR file. User can see their content by opening this folder.
Note: Various files of RAR splits into several partitions for the ease of transmission. If such thing happens, extraction of first partition will automatically extract remaining partitions by the help of 7-zip.
Process of Opening RAR Files on MAC
The users of Mac needs for downloading and installing The Unarchiver. This is free of cost program that will be used for Opening RAR File and various types of archived files.
- Open the TheUnarchiver.com website for downloading the application.
- After finding the DMG file in the folder of download, opening the file with extension .DMG and dragging the application to applications.
- You can either Right click or use Control + Click button on the RAR file.
- Point on the Open With and click on the The Unarchiver.
Note: If someone wants to setting up The Unarchiver as a default application for any type of RAR files, click on the Open With and further choose the Other option. Moreover, click on The Unarchiver and also clicking on the Always Open With option.
- On the file with the extension .rar, double click on it. A new window of file may be open, user can select the destination of the RAR file. User may also creates the destination of file.
- Last step is the click on the right bottom corner of Extract option.
This is the procedure of Opening RAR Files on the operating system of Mac:
Like Windows, it will also create a folder with the same name as the name of the user’s RAR file.
Also, Check :
For now, you knows the procedure of Opening RAR File on the operating systems of Mac as well as on PC of Windows 10. Further, check our guiding article on the procedure of opening ZIP files at any device.